Go down
View user profile

Speeding ....

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:50 am
I’m super careful, the roads near me don’t lend themselves to speed, I need to drive for work,
and the last thing I need are points (clean licence) and a fine.

Anyway .... long story short - now the BMW is running how it should (it’s not fixed as such, but i’ve found a way of driving so the car doesn’t run lean) it feels so much perkier ....

BUT - pokey auto cars .... do you guys find them so hard to keep down to the speed limits ... freaking hard keeping it below 40mph ....

Even the 911 isn’t as long legged as the BM - and I can only assume that’s because it’s a manual (and actually it’s not all that torquey)

View user profile

Re: Speeding ....

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:28 am
Actually, keeping an auto to the speed limit is easy.

It's not the car breaking the limit, it's the driver.

I have brainwashed myself to keep to or under the limit, not because of the law, but the sheer amount of clowns going about!!

More so in town and built up area's as you simply can't tell who's going to pop out in front (usually a farking Syrian taxi bitch who has no intention of sticking to the limit...another story).

In essence, check what is the limit, drive your own car (as in don't feel forced by taxi driving bitches up your arse because he's not happy that you are doing the speed limit), cover the brake if needed coming to a junction or down a slope, check your speed often and lift off if on it.

It's really not hard to stick to the limit Cool
View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:47 pm
I don't think it's because it's an Auto LK. My manual has very long gearing. It will do 60 mph in 2nd and 90 in 3rd.
I stick to speed limits a lot better tjan I used too, especially in town. Walking on pavrments alongside roads with young kids made me very concious of just how vulnerable they are.
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:19 pm
i'm shit at keeping to the limit.......except in an urban zone where i do so ......but an open road lends itself to the feeling of freedom and power.

except when i'm in the van, thats farking boring
View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:26 pm
I also take it easy around town. Rather frustratingly when leaving Clevedon, the NSL has been turned into a 50. After the next village (30) the NSL has been reduced to a 40. Then going up the hill the new 40 is now in place, before increasing to a 50 pretty much until you get into Bristol. I have had to recalibrate my speed this last week or so.

Bt generally going around town I let the auto box take the strain chugging around at about 1000rpm.

View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:09 pm
why not drop down a gear to suit the conditions???

get the habit...avoid a ticket???

the gearbox was designed by some punter sitting at a drawing board - use it as conditions dictate...

vfc
View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:19 pm
PS - i KNOW you are refering to an AUTO - this from old Rospa report from London Met Class 1 traffic police examiner

OVERALL COMMENTS

The candidate is an Observer with a local group and is a very keen driver to perfect his own driving skills. This was a very good professional drive over a very 'fussy' test route that needs total concentration for its entire route. The candidate has a superb knowledge and understanding of his automatic gearbox and gave one of the best demonstration drives using the auto box I have ever had.

An excellent, high standard drive.

RESULT: GOLD

TEST DATE: Feb 12 2007 TIME: 10.00

TEST AREA: BRAINTREE, WITHAM, CHELMSFORD, ESSEX.

EXAMINER: P ROBERTS. RSE: E SIMPSON
View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:46 pm
vanfancooler wrote:       PS - i KNOW    you are refering to an AUTO   - this from old Rospa report from London Met Class 1 traffic police examiner

OVERALL COMMENTS

The candidate is an Observer with a local group and is a very keen driver to perfect his own driving skills. This was a very good professional drive over a very 'fussy' test route that needs total concentration for its entire route. The candidate has a superb knowledge and understanding of his automatic gearbox and gave one of the best demonstration drives using the auto box I have ever had.

An excellent, high standard drive.

RESULT:    GOLD

TEST DATE:  Feb 12 2007         TIME: 10.00

TEST AREA:  BRAINTREE, WITHAM, CHELMSFORD, ESSEX.

EXAMINER:  P ROBERTS.                                           RSE:  E SIMPSON

VFC - Would you like to take me out in the XF?

View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:46 pm
My car has a four speed auto box with a 500rpm drop when you go over 50mph. Something to do with the torque converter and overdrive....

Anyhoo, I work the box, flooring the throttle pedal to get it to drop when I want a bit of poke.

However, wife's car is a different breed. I leave it in auto through built up areas and occasionally use the paddle shift to drop a gear for slowing down or needing to get a bit quicker response.

On the open road it's manual and flappy paddle hilariousness Cool It's best on the twisties, dab the brake, drop a cog or two, get a bit of a 4 wheel drift into any corner and away.

The box is apparently manual, it's the clutch that's automatic Rolling Eyes If changes gears itself so it's an auto...

Anyway, to get the best out of it, I want to change up, I lift off at the same time as I shift and by the time I put the pedal back down she's engaged the gear and we're away.

My Saab had a far superior and quicker shifting box with buttons on the steering wheel. No need to lift off, plant foot, go like the clappers, press the button and there was no noise or clonk or hesitation, just instant gears & throttle response. Loved that car.
View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:04 pm
hugh,

i would love to have a drive with you in the XF...i picked up a few things from John Lyon of the HPC COURSE on auto boxes on a long and expensive day with him.

need to get back in the groove with the X Type first though...mine is a JATCO 5 speed - guess you have German?

vfc
View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:21 pm
vanfancooler wrote:hugh,

i would love to have a drive with you in the XF...i picked up a few things from  John Lyon of the HPC COURSE on auto boxes on a long and expensive day with him.

need to get back in the groove with the X Type first though...mine is a JATCO 5 speed - guess you have German?

vfc

VFC, I take it you tend to use the auto box manually too?

My wife tends to let the box do all the work, but I have managed to impart a nugget that if she needs sudden acceleration she needs to either use the lever or the paddle to drop a cog and power out of a situation or simply to overtake. She told me she has done this to overtake and to get out of a situation where some tit was driving dangerously. She told me her car flies when needed Cool
View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:22 pm
John Lydon? Is an ex Sex Pistol the best person to advise on driving?
View user profile

on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:42 pm

i would love to have a drive with you in the XF...i picked up a few things from  John Lyon of the HPC COURSE on auto boxes on a long and expensive day with him.

vfc

I believe so - 6sp ZF gearbox. Very smoooooooth.

View user profile

on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:03 am
Teeps wrote:John Lydon? Is an ex Sex Pistol the best person to advise on driving?

JOHN LYON is a legend in the advanced driving world - one of few civvies who taught at Hendon and at Tullieallan in Scotland - Police Driving Colleges...

vfc
View user profile

on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:26 pm
vanfancooler wrote:
Teeps wrote:John Lydon? Is an ex Sex Pistol the best person to advise on driving?

JOHN LYON  is a legend in the advanced driving world - one of few civvies who taught at Hendon and at Tullieallan in Scotland - Police Driving Colleges...

vfc

Would it be this gentleman?

I've been watching a few of the '70s car reviews on there - really interesting to see what people's opinions were of what are now old cars, but when they were new. Smile
View user profile

on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:41 pm
Yes, I realised. It was a poor attempt at humour.
View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:40 am
Teeps

Thanks had not seen that old one. That is john. Trying to post from caravan on my first ever use of phone

Vfc

View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:42 am
By jove. Think it worked and i am connected to wifi. How
View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:21 pm
vanfancooler wrote:Teeps

Thanks had not seen that old one.  That is john.  Trying to post from caravan on my first ever use of phone

Vfc

Now you've achieved that, you can post whilst driving - real skills!!!
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:54 pm
hugh,

i asked the barman at the caravan site

'what's the wifi password?

you need to buy a drink first!

OK -i'll have a pinot grigio!

that's £6-50 sir

OK - now whats the wifi password?

"youneedtobuyadrinkfirst - no spaces and all lower case

vfc
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 pm

i asked the barman at the caravan site

'what's the wifi password?

you need to buy a drink first!

OK -i'll have a pinot grigio!

that's £6-50 sir

OK - now whats the wifi password?

"youneedtobuyadrinkfirst - no spaces and all lower case

vfc

Ha! Like it!
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 pm
Haha, love that one VFC
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:48 pm
Me too 😂

Although, I also lolled at Huge's colour blind joke 🤣

I like this old Aberdonian joke:

There's three coo's in a field, fit anes gan on holiday?

The ane wi the wee calf 😂🤣😂🤣

Week aff... 🐃

🏅

Sent from Topic'it App
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:52 pm
.........................................McFlatlines.........................................
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum