Go down
View user profile

2013 Jaguar XJR

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:08 pm
Had a fairly long test drive in the XJR this morning -

Exterior - It's a very large limo; a little over 5m long and fairly wide too! The styling is to the XJ range what the R is to the XF. More purposeful to look at with larger front lower air intakes and bonnet vents on top. The metallic red suits the car rather well - wasn't to sure to start with, but I think its a grower. I still feel the wheels look a little small - or, to put it another way, the arches are too large. The wheels themselves are 20" powder coated jobbies, the rear tyres are a massive 295mm wide!

Interior - the XJ range has a beautiful interior throughout the range. Acres of leather and wood (or carbon fibre in this case) make it a very luxurious place to be. This was the standard wheelbase model - rear leg room is still pretty good in the back. The problem I have with this car is the fact that its so good to drive you'd never want to be driven around in the back. The Supersport model (a mere 510bhp) has the rear TV / Video screens and is more focused on those who are driven. But this was the 550bhp car today, so no rear screens!?! In the front the seat are ver very comfortable - even more so than the Saab 9-5 NG. The controls are standard Jaguar layout, but the speedo display is digital, in 3 sections that can individually changed to suit the driver. You can have speedo, revs and a section of satnav, or about 300000 combinations of trip computer, general information etc etc. The physical controls are rather more crowded than the XFR, but fairly intuitive from the limited time I had in the car. There is a proper sunroof, with electrics unblind which adds some light to the proceedings. All in all the interior is a rather splendid place to spend time - a different league to the XFR.

Performance - the dealership had wrongly advertised it as the 575 bhp version - this wasn't available until 2016, so I explained it must be a mere 550!!! They did't take offence at this, as it was them that suggested we took it out for a spin! The salesman was 2hours away from going home on holiday for 10 days, so I guess happy to take me!! In my defence I did say I didn't want to waste his time! Startup is with a button (same as XFR!) - the initial thrummm of the engine is more of a growl - it makes the noise the XFR should have out of the factory in my opinion. The XJR has the 8 speed ZF gearbox (rather than my 6sp) - it is very very smooth and feels very well powered. Looking at the trip computer it looks to be about 2mpg better than the current cat - food for thought as and when "man-maths" is required! Driving along you can just about hear the engine; when you put your foot down there's a warm reassuring burble that turns into a roar as more horses are called upon. This is a very rapid car, about 0.2 seconds quicker to 60 than mine. The astonishing thing is that it feels the same size as the XF. Both cars are the same weight as the XJ is fully aluminium. Steering is a tad heavier. Driving them back to back there is very little difference.

Summary - a very fast armchair. Blistering pace when called upon, and ultimate wafting at all other times. Loads of kit - massage seats, adaptive cruise control etc etc etc! It feels very special indeed.

Timing - the timing of this car is (probably for the best!) not good; if it was available before my most recent XFR, I'd have given it very serious consideration. If it were to come up in say 18 months time, with the additional depreciation, I'd be very interested. It has made me think that the Supersport is not the way to go at the moment - there's not much trade price difference with my current car, unless there was a brilliant deal to be made. So, The XJR is likely to e my next car; just not yet. They only came out in 2013, so there's some devaluing to go yet!

View user profile

Re: 2013 Jaguar XJR

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:41 pm
I’m assuming they never sold many?

Lovely looking car

The XJ always reminds me of being at school and a friends dad was rather well off and had an XJ. Was always nice to be dropped home in the Jaaaaaaaag
View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:10 pm
So did you get as far as talking money?

Interesting car, but a bit big for me at the moment.
I love the colour.
View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 pm
Teeps wrote:So did you get as far as talking money?

Interesting car, but a bit big for me at the moment.
I love the colour.

Yes - they have given me a figure. Way off the mark. But these cars often stick around. There's a Supersport with one dealer that's been there for 9 months!

No hurry.
View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:18 pm
I can imagine that these days the market for a car like that is limited.
View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:35 pm
Teeps wrote:I can imagine that these days the market for a car like that is limited.

Indeed - the problem with the one that's been hanging around for 9 months is that it must owe the dealer a load, with a current trade price perhaps £1k more than mine! But his retail price is about £10k more than my trade price..... sticky car.

View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:36 pm
That looks epic !!!

Buy it !!!

View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:40 pm
LKsOK wrote:That looks epic !!!

Buy it !!!

Not yet. Unless you buy the XF?!!!!
View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:12 pm
hugh121 wrote:

Buy it !!!

Only just getting the BM up to full health.

How much is it worth ?
View user profile

on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:15 pm
LKsOK wrote:
hugh121 wrote:

Buy it !!!

Only just getting the BM up to full health.

How much is it worth ?

Trade about 12
Private Sale about 14
Retail about 15700
View user profile

on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:14 am
Looks awesome!!

Wouldn't mind going luxury for my next car... S320 CDIs are cheap nowadays. Twisted Evil
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum