Go down
View user profile

BMW X5 or Keep George

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm seeing a few X5's and I don't mind them at all..... Embarassed

I know I'll need to keep George a wee bit longer as I have some perfecting to do, but I am tempted!

Someone put me off Shocked
View user profile

Re: BMW X5 or Keep George

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:25 pm
Get the X5. Failing that get a Smart ForTwo!!!!

View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:32 pm
hugh121 wrote:Get the X5. Failing that get a Smart ForTwo!!!!

You taking the piss Laughing

I like my sisters For Four, but the 2 is just about as ugly and ridiculous as they get, and this is from someone driving a 19 year old Toyota Yaris in Lithuania Embarassed
View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:34 pm
The Brabus is a cartoon-like version of a car!

View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:45 pm
Don't do it! Even 17-year-old ones with no MOT and failed air suspension command £1500, like this one not far from me...

https://www.tradecarscleckheaton.co.uk/used-cars/bmw-x5-2-9-d-sport-5dr-cleckheaton-201806207682793

In addition, as it's the diesel, it'll likely have problems with the injectors/swirl flaps/intake manifold/turbo, plus, being an auto, that's something else that could be very expensive if it went wrong.

They are nice though, go for it! Very Happy Laughing

Personally, if George is running fine, then I'd stick with him - better the devil you know than the devil you don't! The X5s are nice and likely won't leave you stranded at the roadside, but the maintenance costs could be pretty steep I'd expect, especially as there's lots to go wrong and they're getting quite old with some very high milers around.
View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:51 pm
Swirl Flaps - always makes me snigger!

View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:58 pm
hugh121 wrote:Swirl Flaps - always makes me snigger!

Had trouble with the ones on the SAAB. It was general wear that caused the hassle. So I simply drilled through the ball and cup, inserted the teeny weeniest bolt & nut you've ever seen (think Chinese toys) and no more prblems.

What was happening was two flaps would be working and two would be closed or near enough closed.

I don't mind mechanical hassle as it's easy to come to a conclusion, repair or replace.

TBH, I don't imagine I'd get on well with an X5 because of the 8 feet wide wheels! I'd need slimmer wheels for winter tyres....

What I really want is a Luton van with a tail lift so I can build a mobile home. But I need the tail lift for the bike. I wonder if there is such a thing as a long wheel base Luton? What a Face
View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:41 pm
Depends if you want to start from scratch fixing a load of issues on an expensive car.
View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:56 pm
Teeps wrote:Depends if you want to start from scratch fixing a load of issues on an expensive car.

Like when I bought the Range Rover you mean Wink

It's not the expense, it's the technical advancement and the P38 was "the" most technologically advanced vehicle of it's kind and still is.

The problem was (is) the English bought into a technology that was in it's infancy when they were still messing around with brass and tin....

The P38 continues to throw people who imagine they can buy a bargain barge, yet don't have the know how to fix ordinary cars, let alone feckin Sinclair ZX Spectrums with wheels Mad
View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:01 pm
Yes, exactly like when you bought the Range Rover. If you want to do all that again then get an X5. If not don't bother.
View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:31 pm
Rangie is a much nicer car - X5 will be more dynamic, but have much less character
View user profile

on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:49 pm
Do you think a RR has character?
Serious question, what does that even mean?

I could imagine a car like an MX5 or an R32 being descriped as having character but not a big 4x4. Except maybe a Defender in which case character would be code for agricultural.

View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:31 am
Older range rovers have a kind of grandfather clock character

Or a used to be used while shooting grouse type character

X5’s are more wannabe gangster character
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:45 am
Agreed. The P38 has character, but I'd sell it in a heartbeat for a new classic Shocked

Now this has character in spades...

http://www.thedrive.com/news/17775/this-range-rover-classic-restomod-rocks-a-supercharged-v-8-engine

Beast Cool
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:21 am
Character is that quirky difference that makes it itself.

All Rangies have character, and often that quirky difference is in its faults .... but loveable faults.

X5 I guess has character of its own, but i’m not sure it’s traits are so lovable.

Character is very subjective - it’s down to how each person feels about it .... Teeps, I think compared to the average bear you are a bit devoid of feelings - much more objective than most - so you might not find character only faults.

Teeps - your next therapy session will be a week today. Can you please pay a week in advance at reception.
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:46 pm
Not devoid of feelings, but I just like things to work. A car is a tool after all that has a job to fullfill. Quirky faults are great until they stop the car doing its job. For me character is a nice burble from the exhaust, feedback through the steering or lively handling. It isn't rubbish quality and unreliability. Mind you on that score BMW aren't covering themselves in glory, so maybe an X5 has more "character" than you give it credit for...
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:48 pm
Engine wise, George is mint (as you'd hop with a mere 16k miles on it) and almost everything works. The EAS is a bit of a dick, but I think it's a sensor fault (front left).

The Cruise Control has stopped working, but It's either the pedal switch or the CC ECU... I'll get round to it.

However, the exhaust note is brilliant. Cruising slowly through a car park at approx 1000/1200 rpm and it's a terrific bass note burble. Just as it should be Cool
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 pm
On thing that doesn't work on the BMW is the rear window heater. I've checked the obvious stuff so I will have to take it to an auto electrician at some point.
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 pm
Could be the wires inside the rubber boot between hatch and the body. They can break inside the plastic. Or it could be a bad earth.

What to do is get a meter on the + side and switch it all on (most cars only operate the heated window with the engine running) and get a long bit of wire onto the battery neg. If it works, that's your problem.

I had it on a couple of cars so I ended up drilling a hole and attaching a wire on an inconspicuous bit of the hatch and body. Worked beautifully.

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:16 pm
Teeps wrote:On thing that doesn't work on the BMW is the rear window heater. I've checked the obvious stuff so I will have to take it to an auto electrician at some point.

It’s barely rained for months, and barely rained since I bought the 3 series.

Anyway, got in the other day, it was raining, and I started pushing the stalk to get the rear wiper on ... yep, the rear wiper it doesn’t have - doh !!!!

Been years since I had a car without a rear wiper !!!!
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:33 pm
Wrote a reply but my laptop bonged off the net.

Quick reply - no. Keep yours.

X5s when they were new were like..oooohhh niiiiiiice.

Now, they have fallen well and truly into the chavvy bling bling shitey shite zone. And they cost a fortune to fix WHEN they go wrong.

3.0 Diesel auto was nice to drive mind (the manual wasn't) but yeah. I was left feeling...."this car will have cost someone a small fortune...and it's just...not good for the money" kinda thing. Not well built, kinda thing. Flashy...but...a bit shite. (yes, i know i can hardly talk - but...thats how i feel about them.
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:43 pm
That's good enough for me Crix 💪😉👍

I just thought modern, big, powerful, comfortable.

I fancy a change is all. Although, mate has a new Ford crew cab pick up thing. All singing and dancing with lots and lots of toys.

And it can tow 3.5 tonnes.

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 pm
Ignore Crix about Chav bling shite. That appears to be a symptom of where he lives which seams to be 20 years behind. These days most chavs are driving new cars on pcp.

Admin
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:04 am
I'm sure it's nor just local to me. Have you never seen the stupidly blacked out, ridiculously large wheeled drug dealer type cars these are turning into? It's not just here!
Anyway Andoo - to be fair, check one out, don't let me put you off. I was disappointed by the cars in terms of...I expected them to be something special...but I didn't feel they were. Everyone is different though Smile
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:04 am
X5’s do still have the wannabe gangster image in plenty of places.
Sponsored content