Go down
View user profile

Re: BMW X5 or Keep George

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:03 am
Crix, I think you are using the term Chav in the wrong context. I do know two people who drive X6s with blacked out windows and massive wheels. Both are proffessional highly educated people on high salaries. One man must be on at least 80k a year and his other transport is a Harley Davidson.
Neither of them a Chavs.
I know two blokes who drive X5s. One is a shift manager where I work and his X5 is completely standard, i.e no Tints and normal size wheels. The other works in the legal proffession and it's his family car. He drives a Z4 when it's just him. Again totally standard. Both are quiet unassuming blokes, the later is actually quite posh.
Just because someone drives a car you don't like doesn't make them a Chav.

chav
tʃav/Submit
nounBRITISHinformalderogatory
a young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour.
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:26 am
I'm thinking of getting the Jaguar back on the go TBH. It's getting some work, but it'll be standard. It's a magic carpet ride and I miss it.

George is great for the shite weather, but I have the bike for summer so I think the Jaguar would fill in the gaps when it's pishing rain or windy enough to make the bike a bad idea.

Maybe that'll stop my wish for another motor. After all, it's been two years since I last drove the Jaguar anywhere other than round the block.

I'll see what happens when I get back. I may either break the Doblo or fix it. But breaking and selling the (brand new) gearbox, flywheel, drive shafts and clutch & DMF flywheel could net me enough money to get new bits for the Jaguar. I could sell the Doblo engine and the super mapped ECU to someone with a SAAB or Vectra Cool
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:49 am
I agree with both, Crix and Teeps ...

Crix - they have definately fallen in to Chav territory - people making poor taste mods (dare I say red callipers Laughing ) and blacked out, and critically, poorly maintained.

I also agree with Teeps - it doesn’t have to be this way - nicely maintained ones are still ok - in fact I think the original X5 is coming out of the other side - only the well maintained ones are still on the road.

Friend of mine had one when they were quite new - won’t bother Andoo - but when they go wrong it’s big time ... air suspension issues mostly, and the wing mirrors are absolute fortunes if you break one.
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:09 am
LKsOK wrote:I agree with both, Crix and Teeps ...

Crix - they have definately fallen in to Chav territory - people making poor taste mods (dare I say red callipers  Laughing ) and blacked out, and critically, poorly maintained.

I also agree with Teeps - it doesn’t have to be this way - nicely maintained ones are still ok - in fact I think the original X5 is coming out of the other side - only the well maintained ones are still on the road.

Friend of mine had one when they were quite new - won’t bother Andoo - but when they go wrong it’s big time ... air suspension issues mostly, and the wing mirrors are absolute fortunes if you break one.

Feckin Electronic Air Suspension (EAS) the bain of my life Mad

When it works, it is fan bloomin tastic, but when it goes wrong you need a bloke with an expensive computer system...or like me, download a bit of software, learn how to use it and fix it yourself. Some days, because the front left sensor is a dick, all I need to do is plug and and let it know it's plugged in and it comes back to life. You get a similar tool called an EAS kicker, but it costs over 100 quid Shocked

All in all, I am quite adept at figuring George out so she's not all bad. My next fix is the flamin saggy roof though Mad But that's hardly mechanical.
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 am
The problem with the "Chav" label for anything we regard as poor taste is that a lot of cars are sold new with massive alloys and tints.
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:23 am
Doo, your RR sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I'd move it on before it throws you another big bill.
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:29 am
Doo 1 wrote:

Feckin Electronic Air Suspension (EAS) the bain of my life Mad

When it works, it is fan bloomin tastic, but when it goes wrong you need a bloke with an expensive computer system...or like me, download a bit of software, learn how to use it and fix it yourself. Some days, because the front left sensor is a dick, all I need to do is plug and and let it know it's plugged in and it comes back to life. You get a similar tool called an EAS kicker, but it costs over 100 quid Shocked

All in all, I am quite adept at figuring George out so she's not all bad. My next fix is the flamin saggy roof though Mad  But that's hardly mechanical.

Can't you just replace the air suspension with traditional coil springs? Or is that a complicated and expensive job too?
Admin
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:37 pm
Teeps, can you stop trying to say I mean something other than I do? I'm not up for an argument and I'm not going to change my mind.
The bit about someone having a car that I don't like makes them a chav- that's absolute bollocks, too.
AND, as I have already said, I don't dislike the car...but it's definitely a disappointment when you consider how good and 'premium' they are supposed to be. People absolutely paying for the badge.
This is the first X5 I'm talking about BTW, I don't know what the next one is like.
Admin
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:40 pm
Oh and Teeps, you've put the definition of chav there - that is precisely the definition I'd go with - and I know of a number of people (not personally, thankfully) who ARE like that and drive horrible 'chavved' X5s.
View user profile

on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:36 pm
Must just be the company you keep ;-p
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:06 am
Doo.....thefuck?.....i thought all german car drivers were wankers?....are you considering joining our elite group of professional masturbators??
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:34 pm
Teeps, a "typical example"

(This one also had 'lexus lights' and a dodgy private plate to top things off)

View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:07 pm
I’ve got the perfect example around the corner - i’ll get a pick later
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:56 pm
So it's not to your taste. So? That doesn't make the owners Chavs. Alloys look standard size and ok in black.
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:05 pm
Spot, no!

Only a certain Marque of German car owners are wankers 😝😂

Not bmw or Mercedes 😉

Don't worry though, Crix set me straight.

I ain't no chav foo.... 😎

Sent from Topic'it App
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:16 pm
Teeps. You know from looking at someone who's barried up their car like that...they're gonna be nuckle draggers. They just are, don't argue for the sake of arguing!
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 pm
BTW andoo! Do not let me put you off these! Check them out!
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:14 pm
Not for the sake of it. I disagree. There was an E46 330d on site a while back. Lowered to hell, big exhaust, black alloys, tinted windows, smoked lights all round. Owner was a little rough around the edges but a decent bloke. I don't judge people by their cars or their appearance and I disagree with people who do. The end.
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:41 pm
The end!
Most people on the forum know what I mean but not Teeps who seems to think all X5s are kept perfectly standard and tasteful and are driven exclusively by perfectly upstanding members of the community. This is quite simply not the case! Open thine eyes!
The X5 has reached the chav threshold and are suffering as a result.
The end Smile
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:53 pm
I disagree with judging people by their cars or their appearance. That is my opinion. The end.
I'm not saying no chavs drive X5s. I'm not saying that no X5s are badly modified. I'm saying that neither of those things makes the X5 Chav and if someone drives a Modified X5 that you don't approve of, it doesn't make them a Chav. You shouldn't be so quick to judge.
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:47 pm
Look at the definition of chav again.
Some of these people drive and 'chav' up X5s! Thats all I'm saying!

Ye Ende!
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:51 pm
And if someone badly modifies the X5 in the way I'm meaning, they absoluely will be chavs! It's the nature of the modification! I know them, I've been to school with them! They've managed to get hold of 'cool' car and bling it up and totally ruin it. Then not afford to run the thing! I speak from experience as one of the examples I am thinking of is....well...kinda in the family!
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 am
I agree with crix

Barried up cars are usually owned by neanderthal man who also can not drive.... Stereotypical maybe?, But usually true
View user profile

on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am
I'll get a pick later of one that lives near me ..

If you want to go stereotypes, get this ...

So, its a Gen 2 - Black (but now matt black), blacked out lights, wheels, dodgy numberplate.

Judging from where its parked, I guarantee its someone who rents one of the flats over the shops near me !!
View user profile

on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:38 pm
Stereotypes are frequently wrong.

I heard that all people from the North are thick, all estate agents are cunts in shiny suits and people who work in IT have no social skills and no friends.

Yeah stereotypes are great, aren't they...

Back on topic. So some people barry cars up. That doesn't mean that a nice original example wouldn't be worth having. It's not like no one ever barried up a Range Rover is it.
Sponsored content