Go down
View user profile

Scratch removal

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:56 am
Last night, feeling brave, I decided to get some 1500 and 2500 grit wet and dry paper and attack a couple of scratches that are too deep to take out with the DA polisher. I carefully used the 1500 first, with plenty of water on the passenger door. Obviously it's much finer than the stuff I used in my furniture making days, but it cut into the scratches nicely - being careful not to remove too much clear coat.

I then used the 2500 paper, and onto some MeGuiars Ultimate Compound, applied with a hand buffer thingy. I washed off the door and then applied some polish / wax I had lying around. Amazing finish and about 20 mins to do the door. I could have used the DA polishing machine rather than the hand buffer for an even better finish. Before the buffing / polishing there is a fair bit of ghosting that looks like the panel has been attacked with a brillo pad - which it effectively has of course!

Obviously this experiment was done on the 107, and not the Jag / Brabus. The process is very similar to little repairs on a piece of furniture; it's just the abrasives are finer. As long as the minimum clear coat is removed to take out the scratch, I'd say you'd have to be very heavy handed to do too much damage.

Once I've done the whole car, it has some scrapes on the lower part of the bumper, which might be fun to try to fix...

View user profile

Re: Scratch removal

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:13 am
Brave !!!!
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:22 am
Excellent work.

Would you be able to meet me half way and sort out all of the scuffs and scrapes on SWMBO's 107?
View user profile

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 am
Could have gone better I guess.

View user profile

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:42 am
LKsOK wrote:Brave !!!!

Not really - the 2500 grit is so fine. And with plenty of lubricant (water)! The DA polisher is also quite safe.

I shall try to get some pictures later. Hoping to do another door this eve.

View user profile

on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:43 am
LKsOK wrote:Could have gone better I guess.

Yes - 80 grit is not the way to do it!

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum