Go down
Admin
View user profile

PHEV Driving

on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:46 am
It's nice, you know.

If you are like....just cruising about....it's very clever to see the way the car flicks between electric and petrol...and like...if it's the wheels getting charged or the battery..and what is powering which, and so forth.

The Outlander was recently revised and now has a 2.4 litre petrol in place of the 2.0...and it's a nice smooth unit. When you are driving steadily and the letting the car decide what to do, it registers about 40-50mpg, which is pretty good for a 2.4 large-ish 4x4 shaped heavyish thing. (with the numbers going much higher if you are in electric mode more)

However...if youa re foot to the floor etc....you'll only get like..25-30mpg or something, which is no good when a diesel will probably get more.

But aside from the mpg....it's just a nice way to drive, either silently or with very little noise...comfortable too, very relaxing.
View user profile

Re: PHEV Driving

on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 pm
I was in an Auris Hybrid taxi the other week - it did feel quite a novelty to pull away with just an electric 'whirr' noise, then hear the petrol engine kick in whilst already on the move. I could quite happily live with one of those. Smile
View user profile

on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:09 pm
Closest I've been to an electric car was the old electric milk float that used to deliver milk - in the days when milk was good for you and went bad if you didn't drink it in time.

hehe

Electric is defo the way to go if you have some way of generating the juice..

Admin
View user profile

on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:32 am
I think if you don't do many miles...and most of your driving is lowish speed town stuff...a PHEV really is a nice way to do it.
But - if you are doing that kind of driving...do you really want/need a largeish 4x4 style car that's approx £35k? Well, yes if you want a Chelsea Tractor type car for the school run....but the PHEV isn't stylish or cool enough for that.

The reason I say low miles is - if you are a motorway muncher, the car barely going to go in electric mode and it's gonna be as thirsty as a regular 2.4 petrol big thing is. Ie, not much.
Company car tax is very low and my boss has one, it's much much cheaper per month than the Subaru Outback diesel he has previously. However the outback was much better (and more frugal) when longer journeys are required.
View user profile

on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:37 pm
With a 5 mile commute and a lot of town driving with the odd longer trip at the weekends a plug in hybrid is really what would suit me - but I'm sceptical that most have just been developed and bought to minimise company car tax liability and aren't really that great in reality. It's telling that a lot like the 330e and Merc C350e have been canned with this change to the new WLTP fuel consumption tests. I'm not sure about reliability long term either.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:38 pm
PHEV is the way.

Used again today. Stuck it in electric mode (only) and drove approx 25 miles on errands. Had brake regen on full and Eco mode on. Around town and stuff with a wee bit of DC. Used just over half of the elec range.

Brake regen is great. Well, i call it brake regen, it may not be..it's the setting where you come off the 'throttle' and the 'engine' brakes strongly without you using the brakes. And each time that happens, it puts a little bit back into the battery. It's all gravy.

A smooth, sweet, comfy, seamless way to get around. Adequate performance, which actually goes well when you give it some.

If you dont do more than 35 miles a day...and most of your driving is like...60mph and under......you'd never use any petrol.

Getting into anything else afterwards feels prehistoric! Whats that noise??! Engine!!??!?! Whats that vibration? Engine! You have to change gears?!??!?!! What stone age technology is this?

I liked it.

But i liked it as i got back to work and plugged in back in.

If you need to go out a lot....and do more than 35 miles a day..and dont have the means to charge it......it's not quite so rosy.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum