Go down
Admin
View user profile

2018 18 Subaru Forester 2.0 XE Petrol Manual

on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:35 pm
I like the Forester. It doesn't seem to get a lot of love but...well, i like it anyway.

Most of the ones i've driven though are the diesel. It's a good, quiet unit, punchy.

Today was the petrol which has a similar power of 145bhp (i think) and a reasonable torque figure (for a petrol) of 146 lb ft.

Yes, this was a new car with low miles..so possibly some loosening up could occur....but it struggles.

You really need 4k + revs on the dial for it to go anywhere.

Good thing is that it's a sweet sounding engined, i can't imagine many 4 cyls sounding better. It's much more subtle than the old BOBOBOBOBO warble of the old WRXs etc...but it's that kind of thing and it's very nice and smooth, just a bit....sluggish.

Because of the need to work the car quite hard, i think 25-30mpg will be commonplace, despite 40.9mpg being quoted as the average.

Other good things - well the Forester is spacious inside, front and rear, bit a big boot. It's basically quite a square car and it shows.

Dash materials are fine, although the new XV has a nicer interior, this still continues with the same interior as the old XV which now looks a bit plain and dated.

Another good thing - the biiiiig electric sunroof! You dont see many sunrooves (?) sunroofs? now and it's a shame. I had a very nice drive back with the 'roof fully back, a bit of almost open-air motoring in a 4x4. Wind through the hair and all that.

Bad things -

The lack of performance as mentioned
The seats - in the XE they are half leather....and they just feel a bit too high and unsupportive I'm sure in the lower spec models with cloth seats you sit more 'IN' the seat than 'ON' it.
View user profile

Re: 2018 18 Subaru Forester 2.0 XE Petrol Manual

on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:53 pm
Another Subaru review great stuff.

I'm still liking it. The lack of performance, noise from the engine as you give it the beans as you have too. I'm putting it in low range all the time in town and on the mountains. Gives me more gears to play with and a very low first gear.. I can start in 2nd on the flat.

I think the XV is probably the best of the Subaru range. Pretty sure you get kind of sporty ride I get and you get the additional height, it's way the most popular Subaru in terms of numbers around here.

Admin
View user profile

on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:24 am
Yes, the XV is probably the most popular now.

But Subarus sell, so very very little. They do so so little business in the UK now.

I do wonder how long our company will have the franchise......something needs to happen to turn it around.

Mitsubishi to a lesser extent...but it's still a bit niche.

Citroen doing reasonably well, though.
View user profile

on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:32 pm
Difficult for Subaru to build a new car for the UK. I think they will continue to sell there though. Consider right hand drive doesn't cost them anything as right hand drive is the norm in Japan, they are building them anyway making money mostly in the USA snow states. I don't know how the franchises work but there will be very few dedicated Subaru ones right. It's the same here. I got mine from a mostly Toyota dealership.

That's why I quite like them, they are not European. They don't have to get super mileage and be super light.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum