View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

2011 Renault Laguna 1.5dCi Expression

on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:50 pm
So, a review of the above... which I've purchased.

Some of you may remember I only just purchased a 2005 Audi A6 S-line 3.0TDI back at the end of July - well, unfortunately, the car now has too many faults for me to be able to justify fixing it any longer. As it stands, the MMI system has failed completely, the parking sensors don't work, none of the bulbs in the rear nearside light cluster work apart from one tail light (not the bulbs that failed as it stopped working all at once), the engine mounts require attention and the car starts smoking quite heavily when standing in heavy traffic. Basically, it's too old and has too many miles (115,000) to be as complicated as it is. Don't get me wrong, fantastic car, but I'd advise buying one only when it's reasonably young/low mileage, or when it has a decent warranty. To be honest, even without the faults, I'm now doing 25,000/30,000 miles year, so a 3.0TDI is costly to run in any case.

Anyway, as for the Renault... the most basic model with the smallest diesel engine, but has everything you need and nothing more - exactly what I'm after as there's less to go wrong! The 1.5dCi has half the capacity and half the power of the Audi, so I'm hoping for double the economy!! Insurance is £250 a year cheaper and the yearly tax rate of £260 has gone down to £30!!! Admittedly, it doesn't drive like a German car - the steering's quite heavy at low speed, the gear knob's a bit big and the 'box a little soggy, the steering wheel doesn't go quite high enough and the brakes feel a bit spongy - typical French car I guess. Overall though, it drives nicely enough, the ride's good, plenty of space, good visibility, the engine keeps up fine with traffic, enough spec to give you what you need and looks quite nice in silver IMO. Build quality and fit/finish isn't quite up to German/Japanese standards, but it really isn't far off. The main selling point for me was value - they ceased production of the Laguna in 2012, so this 2011 model year one is one of the last with the 'facelift'. It has 38,000 miles on it and cost less than £5k. Fingers crossed I'll be keeping this for a good few years as it fulfills my needs perfectly. Smile

I will miss the aura of owning a premium German car, but if the truth be told, in my experience, there's only one brand that can deliver that 'special' experience - Mercedes-Benz... I still miss my old E-class!
View user profile

Re: 2011 Renault Laguna 1.5dCi Expression

on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:25 pm

It's actually all you need...

An old E-class Mercedes-Benz... Sad
View user profile

on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:43 am
If I can keep the Laguna for 6/7 years and take it to around 200,000 miles (fingers crossed!!), then an E220 CDI or whatever the equivalent is then would be lovely as its replacement. Smile
View user profile

on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:34 pm
hehehe.

I think the old Mercedes are very different to the new ones. So a new one might not be as good.
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum