Go down
Admin
View user profile

2003 Volvo S60 2.4D SE manual

on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:04 pm
A colleagues car.

I want one of these.

I've always been fond of this era of S60 and V70 - i think they have aged very well.

I've driven a number of V70s and S60s over the years (customer cars at various points, both petrol and diesel models.)

The S60 is a nice size car...it's not too big....nor too small.

It's sleek and good looking (IMO)

Not exciting looking....but smooth, i like it.

Then you get inside and you have the rather smart interior....which admittedly does creak a bit in places. No sqeak-free Japanese build in here.

But the best thing of course...the seats. Lovely range of adjustment and just....armchair like!  Not many cars now (or for  long while) have seat bases that PROPERLY tilt, to the extent that you are kinda...sitting with your legs going upwards and your ample posterior encased nicely. A lovely, comfy..yet supportive driving position.

You start the engine and the car rocks into life. It's clear from the off that this is a big, heavy engine, you get some vibes into the cabin and gearstick. Nor is it particularly quiet at idle, there's no disgusing which fuel this engine runs on.

However, underway, the engine is very smooth. That extra cylinder makes so much difference. It is very, very different from the typical 4 cyl diesel engine...which at best sounds acceptable...but you could never cal them... 'nice'. The 5 cyl diesel has a much nicer tone and is just....a pleasure to use, gently or hard! It's a diesel...but without the diesel drawbacks...(if you try to forget the low speed vibes)

You get plenty of ooooof from the engine. It's not quick to respond to inputs - you get a bit of a delay...but then you get pushed nicely into your tilted comort seat.
This was the 163PS version which has 251lb ft torque - plenty.
This version also DOESN'T have a DPF or DMF - Praise be to the Lord!!! Less to go wrong!

There is another version added later, which has 185bhp and 295lb ft....but i gather this engine DOES have a DMF and DPF (i think) and the lowe powered engine is seen as more durable.

The gearchange is reasonable. Easy...unobstructive....but far from a 'snickety' box. (unlike the  2.0T petrol S60 which (IME) have a fantastically snickety box, better than i was expecting)

The steering has some weight to it, which is nice! A far cry from many of the light, numb systems you get now.

The ride is pretty good. On the whole, it's just a nice way to get around. It can hustle a bit, too. It feels like it's got a good balance of ride and handling composure.

Refinement isn't amazing...at 70mph there's probably more wind and especally road noise (from the rear) than the Picasso....which is a bit disappointing..but then the tyres are quite a bit wider..and of course the car design dates back to 2000....think about it...18 years ago!

But yeah. I just liked it. I've not had a Volvo....yet. If i was to get one, i'd want one of these...or a V70. But i think it'd be the diesel i wanted.

As a bonus, he tells me the car returns a genuine 50+mpg regularly which is pretty good for a punchy large heavyish car.
View user profile

Re: 2003 Volvo S60 2.4D SE manual

on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:35 am
Nice-looking car, that era of S60. Had the D5 engine in my S80 - sounded nice for a diesel, went ok and was reasonably frugal for the size/weight of car. However, of the two Volvos I've had, neither have driven as well as a German car and both have had trouble keeping their fluids - both had significant coolant leaks and used oil. They are likeable cars though, and I'd have another, but it'd have to be cheaper than a German/Japanese equivalent.
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:24 pm
An excellent response, FF.
View user profile

on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:40 pm
Nope I tried and cannot reply.. No idea about those newer Volvos.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum