Go down
View user profile

Diesel Gate ..

on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:15 pm
or Diesel great ?!

This might surprise you, as much as its surprised me ... and I still don't like or agree with the health side of them, and of course things like DPF's are a pain, etc, etc ... but as an engine for what I do - amazing ..

Obvious they are economical .. although actually not that much more than a petrol around town ...

But, in terms of noise, speed, drivability ... blown me away.

Ultimately for town work - what you need is responsiveness .. off the line, zipping between speed bumps, jump through gaps .. and I can't believe how responsive it is .. razor sharp.

There are quite a few dual carriages near me .. so once a day I red line it to blown the dust away, and I ran a tank of engine cleaner (quite an expensive one - BG244) ... and it seems to be getting quieter and smoother by the day.
View user profile

Re: Diesel Gate ..

on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 pm
hehe good one.

Global warming... it's actually getting cooler now. The more carbon we pump in to the atmosphere the more things grow. The planet is literally getting greener.

hehe

Admin
View user profile

on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:55 pm
I tend to agree. For what we use it for, the diesel in the Picasso is almost just right.
Yes, it's no fun to push on and with only 90bhp, the performance is...acceptable.

But yeah! It's flexible, it goes when it needs too, generally returns approx 50mpgish on the general commutes, and it's pretty refined! I definitely find this particular PSA engine is like...more refined than the similarly powerful Renault 1.5 units (more clattery and boomy) and also the old VAG PD engines...which let's be honest are agricultural! But much zoomier.
The newer VAG units are indeed smoother than the old PD.

So yes....frustratingly the Picasso remains the right car for us at the moment. I even gave it a proper jet wash the other day and I don't even mind how it looks to be honest.
View user profile

on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 pm
Finding fun in whatever you drive is the difference between a petrol head, and someone that buys a car to pose in ....

Not convinced the clutch and turbo will last forever .... but quite enjoy my slightly ratty A3
View user profile

on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:58 am
7 of the 9 cars I've had have been turbodiesels - I don't see why anybody would want a car that's less powerful/torquey and less economical with an equivalent naturally-aspirated petrol, although I suppose they're cheaper to buy, quieter, smoother and potentially less to go wrong... but so frustrating to drive!! I'm too used to having the torque to pull the car along; having to rev an engine to make the car move just seems like hard work, lol.

For the record, touch wood, I've never had to replace a clutch or turbo in any car I've owned, and I've driven around 300,000 miles in my driving career. Smile The Vectra's currently on 196,000 miles, had the oil changed a couple of weeks ago - runs like a clock and pulls like a train!! No way it can keep up with modern turbodiesels with their incredibly high pressure injectors and the like, but I dread to think what problems they could have at 200,000 miles, especially with DPFs, DMFs, BlueInjection and whatever else they're fitting to cars these days. Thinking back, my Astra 1.3CDTI (Fiat engine) needed a new injector at around 100,000 miles; my Laguna 1.5dCi needed two new injectors before 50,000 miles!!
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:41 pm
What engines in the Vectra, FF?

I know those old Isuzu 1.7s that Vauxhall used to use were incredibly robust but i dont think there were ever in the Vectra, were they? - i think there was a 2.0 which was an enlarged version of the 1.7? 99bhp IIRC.

View user profile

on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:02 pm
EffEff wrote:7 of the 9 cars I've had have been turbodiesels - I don't see why anybody would want a car that's less powerful/torquey and less economical with an equivalent naturally-aspirated petrol, although I suppose they're cheaper to buy, quieter, smoother and potentially less to go wrong... but so frustrating to drive!! I'm too used to having the torque to pull the car along; having to rev an engine to make the car move just seems like hard work, lol.

For the record, touch wood, I've never had to replace a clutch or turbo in any car I've owned, and I've driven around 300,000 miles in my driving career. Smile The Vectra's currently on 196,000 miles, had the oil changed a couple of weeks ago - runs like a clock and pulls like a train!! No way it can keep up with modern turbodiesels with their incredibly high pressure injectors and the like, but I dread to think what problems they could have at 200,000 miles, especially with DPFs, DMFs, BlueInjection and whatever else they're fitting to cars these days. Thinking back, my Astra 1.3CDTI (Fiat engine) needed a new injector at around 100,000 miles; my Laguna 1.5dCi needed two new injectors before 50,000 miles!!

I'll tell you what .. my last 2 direct injection petrol BMW's have been so complicated, that they are enough to give you sleepless nights.

Dodgy injectors, carbon build up, high pressure fuel pumps, and then on the 1 series turbo issues .. heck out of warranty, you could do £2000 in repair costs before you even blink.

Modern cars are far too complicated.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:27 pm

View user profile

on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:39 pm
2.2DTI in the Vectra. I think it's an old GM lump as far as I'm aware. I believe the mk1 Vectra was fitted with the 1.7 for a bit, badged as the 'Di'.

Cars are basically just plastic and electronics these days, lol.
View user profile

on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 pm
EffEff wrote:7 of the 9 cars I've had have been turbodiesels - I don't see why anybody would want a car that's less powerful/torquey and less economical with an equivalent naturally-aspirated petrol, although I suppose they're cheaper to buy, quieter, smoother and potentially less to go wrong... but so frustrating to drive!! I'm too used to having the torque to pull the car along; having to rev an engine to make the car move just seems like hard work, lol.

I commute in the Jag twice a week, and 3 days in the Pug 107. As of next week the Pug will give way to the Roadster. Should average about 35-45mpg over the course of the week across the cars.

The torque of the V8 is lovely and addictive. I used to have a 1.9 diesel Scenic - good engine and 50mpg back in 1997.

View user profile

on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 am
MegaCrixel wrote:What engines in the Vectra, FF?

I know those old Isuzu 1.7s that Vauxhall used to use were incredibly robust but i dont think there were ever in the Vectra, were they? -  i think there was a 2.0 which was an enlarged version of the 1.7? 99bhp IIRC.

I had a couple of Vectra's retro fitted with the Isuzu 1.7 turbo diesel engine.

I had a red estate that did 115mph flat out. Excellent car Cool
View user profile

on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:42 am
I recently had a Seat Leon 1.6 TDI hire car - it was fast enough, torquey with good pick up, and did 60mpg. Just the usual problems of noise, and the performance illusion that part throttle low down acceleration doesn't actually get any better when you mash the pedal! Narrow power bands can be a problem on some of the lower powered TDIs.

My Skoda Fabia VRS was great with a big diesel lump in a small car which gave entertaining torquey shove in the back. People always remarked how quick it was, but in reality it felt a lot faster than it actually was - that isn't a bad thing though. I am a fan of torque! I've moved over to turbo petrol now because I don't do the miles, but not mind a quick diesel.
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:08 pm
I agree on the vRS Tom, drove a couple of them over the years and the shove was satisfying.
I also drove a remapped one and it really did go!
But yes...it's more the illusion from the whoomph.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum