Go down
View user profile

New car .... do I ???

on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:08 pm
Went out in the 911 this evening, and the speed, power, etc, and subsequent talk of a few track days came up ...

So, would you trade the diesel A3 for this ??

Chatting to the guy, and he’ll take £3200 - although I am thinking it’s probably due a Cambelt change.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810201679450
View user profile

Re: New car .... do I ???

on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:24 am
I wouldnt bother personally

I don’t expect the Clio will set any track on fire
View user profile

on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:29 am
Looking at the Clio vs Cooper S (as an example). I’d go for the mini, the upgrades appear cheaper. It’s marginally slower to 60 but assuming you’d be tagging the nuts off it round a track I doubt you’d notice

You had a fun track car in the mx5, I can’t see the Clio would be as entertaining
View user profile

on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:43 am
So, went to see the Clio ....

Amazing little car - only 45k miles, very clean, low the looks, perfect driving position (which surprised me) .... it is everything people say they are - amazing to drive.

Compared to a Cooper S, which is fast, but typical hard riding German built car which feels like they have tried to make it sporty ... the Clio just feels sporty because it handles and rides and goes well - not because it rides so hard !!

Cooper S or Clio - as a car .... Clio hands down!!

Anyway this car - as Crix would tell me - at this price (£3k ish) feels like you’d always be living with problems - the air con didn’t work, and fan speed 4 didn’t work .... and all around it was showing signs of lack of use (rusty brake callipers, discs, wheel nuts, cracked tyres) ... actually a very good car - but not for me.

However it’s intrigued me to try a Megane RS - I bet that’s a great car ....

I went to see a Mini Cooper last night as well, and just the same - described as immaculate - but not - that was just out of curiosity.

Long and short is - as Alan Sugar would say - the search continues !!!!!
View user profile

on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:52 pm
Will you actually do many track days or just use it for commuting? Could be a bit tiresome for the latter!

The same era Meganes were notoriously flaky, but the newer shape ones might be better (the one that has just been replaced).
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:27 am
Yes, i gather the 2009-2016 type Meganes are pretty solid in terms of reliablility, generally very highly regarded as being both great to drive and relatively robust, too.

Pleased you liked the Clio. I had to check that my email had gone back to you, it had.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:27 pm
ren no Clio, track day car?.

are you on glue?

there are so many alternatives out there that would do that job so much better.

bloody girls car
View user profile

on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:37 pm
Any progress LK?

I’ve been giving consideration to spending some money on the TT and setting it up to use on track days. On the plus side it’s got a decent amount of power to start with, handles ok for a novice, parts are plentiful, won’t break the bank if something gets damaged or broken, plenty of upgrades to brakes, engine and handling are available. Downsides I can see are mainly the fact it’s still seen as a hairdressers car and doesn’t offer RWD fun...

Couple of people I know who are more into track days are using an M3 and a VX220
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:22 am
Paul, i will have the TT off you. But you must understand...it would need to be for a Crixworthy price.
View user profile

on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 am
Paul123 wrote:Any progress LK?

No progress - looked great in the advert .. but not in reality.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum