Go down
View user profile

Jaguar S Type 3L V6 Petrol

on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:52 pm
2005 Jaguar S Type – 3L V6 petrol

Initial thoughts – this was given to me this morning while my XFR has a service. The car is in charcoal grey with a Leaper on the bonnet; I think it’s a 3L V6 petrol. Well it’s certainly petrol as I put some in on my way back home.

Interior – well, there’s no wood! Just some fake black carbon-come-metal looking trim with loads of black leather. It’s a nice place to be; the seating position is better than the XF as the seats go lower. It should be remembered that the S Type is the same (under the skin) as the XF. The dials are nice “traditional Jag”, the steering wheel is large and the indicators make a nice “grand-father clock” type tick-tock. As with the rest of the car it makes you feel like you’re back in the 1950s. When driving past my local bank on the High Street, I wasn’t sure whether I should rob it or manage it! When driving along there is very little noise and it has a fairly good waft-factor.

Exterior – 1950s Jaguar retro. Since collecting it I’ve been talking in a strange plummy BBC English accent of the time. I feel I should be wearing a set of driving gloves. On the motorway home, I let cars pull out in front of me. This has the feel (and look) of a gentleman’s car, complete with manicured finger nails and manners to match.

The dark grey paintwork suits the car, and the BJ prefix of the registration number make me giggle to myself. The wheels are about 18”, with tyres that have proper sidewalls, unlike my car.

Performance – mmmm on paper it has 240 horses. I’m really not sure if many of them have gone AWOL, or whether it’s more down to the Auto gearbox. It pulls away from standstill nicely enough; but sadly only to about 12 mph. It takes an age to get to 30. Our Smart car pulls better. On paper it should do 60 in about 7 seconds; maybe at a push; I’m used to double the power, it maybe an adequately powered car, I just don’t know. At motorway speeds it makes sense. Wafting along at 70 mph in near silence is where this car is brilliant; adding an extra 5 mph to overtake a car is gentle, but comfortable.

Summary – It’s a great car; seriously under-rated as Jaguar were producing English cars for Americans who think England is full of cricket, pubs and steam trains. When you consider it has the same underpinnings as the XF, you realise just how good it was. Back in 2005 (when this one was built) the Germans were making better looking cars, bought by people who laughed at the Werther’s Originals styling of the Jag. I would love to have a go in the R version. Proper bank robbers car…….

Admin
View user profile

Re: Jaguar S Type 3L V6 Petrol

on Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:56 am
Nice Review, Thank You.
I strangely miss mine. The later ones like yours have much nicer interiors. I think I'd have another if I got the chance of a very cheap one again.
View user profile

on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:58 am
For the money, who doesn't love an old Jag?! Quite fancy one myself with the waftability factor.

240bhp seems a decent output - BMW's 3.0 "only" put out 231bhp if I remember rightly. In fact, my A6 3.0TDI made do with 225bhp.
View user profile

on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:43 pm
Same under the skin as an XF?

Blimey - never knew that.
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:01 pm
I found mine to be reasonably swift when asked. Granted, my normal car wasn't a 542bhp beast!
However, I do recall my 9-5 being quicker.
View user profile

on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:33 pm
LKsOK wrote:Same under the skin as an XF?

Blimey - never knew that.

Indeed - 1998 design!

View user profile

on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 am
MegaCrixel wrote:I found mine to be reasonably swift when asked. Granted,  my normal car wasn't a 542bhp beast!
However, I do recall my 9-5 being quicker.

I only have 510 bhp!
View user profile

on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:33 am
Don’t you just miss the anti-minimalist approach to radios and buttons in general in the 80’s and 90’s cars. Why have one or two when you can fill every inch with buttons!

I’d guess the S Type had a phone option too

I still think the S Type looks good, can’t see me buying one but it does look good
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:36 pm
I think they look superb in BRG with the tan leather. Old man spec yeah bit who cares?!!?
I've 'done' the V6 now though. It's have to be the V8....
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:43 pm
Oh, and I remember the very first S Type I saw on the road...it was way back in 99ish or whenever they were launched. It was near Ambleside in the Lake District in the pouring rain and the car did a little shimmy and shake from the rear end as the driver hooned/lost slight control of his back end!

P.S. I went to the '98 Motor Show at the NEC and the then new Jeeaaag was totally overshadowed (IMO) by the better looking brand new Rover 75...especially inside.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum