Admin
View user profile

Who on here has glasses?

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:13 pm
And if so, what are they for?

All the time?

Just driving?

Reading?

The reason i ask is....im gonna get an eye test. I feel like my sight may be very very slightly off.

I've never had glasses before but something doesn't feel quite right at the moment, better get checked. I know i have a 'spoke cataract' and i was told when i was little that eventually it might start to cause me issues (they said there was no reason to do anything about it at the time)...so i wonder if it's that.
View user profile

Re: Who on here has glasses?

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:25 pm
I've had glasses since I was 11, for distance as I'm short-sighted... very short-sighted. In fact, I once asked the optician if vision can keep getting worse until you're blind, but they said it doesn't work like that. Smile If you do end up getting some, you'll probably find the difference quite significant at first and wonder how you coped for so long without them!!

Thankfully glasses can be quite fashionable these days, unlike the gold-framed television screens there used to be in 1997 when I first started wearing them.

I've used both Specsavers and Vision Express over the years and no real issues with either, although Specsavers glasses didn't seem that robust until earlier this decade.

It might be worth checking with your employer to see if you qualify for a free eye test, or at least some contribution towards it. IIRC, my employer gives, or at least used to give, £15 vouchers for eye tests at Vision Express. Smile
View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:34 pm
Just driving ..
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:14 pm
FF, thank you for your excellent description, as always, very helpful.

LK....thank you.

I suppose im unusual in my family as im one of the few who doesn't have glasses. Many do on both my mam and dads side (but not my dad). I dunno if it's hereditory anyway but i gather it is.

Daniel already has glasses, i think he has since he was 4 or 5.
View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:20 pm
I have a slight astigmatism in my eyes - I understand that means they aren't quiet perfectly round ...

Other than driving, I don't need any corrections.

Last edited by LKsOK on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 pm
LK, thank you for you elaborated response Smile

I think i will be going to Vision Express as SWMBO being NHS staff gets a freebie or half price or something.

But we've been to both Vision Express and Specsavers for Daniel and both have given good customer service etc.
View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:22 pm
Crix you speccy twat!!

Yes I wear glasses
View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:33 pm
My actual prescription are as follows

50 45 +0.5
50 35 -0.5
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:05 pm
How.....do you have that information.......?

You have risen up the rankings on this thread there LK.....
View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:43 pm
I used to have to wear specs when driving, but as I got older, my long vision got better. I don't quite need glasses to read, but teeny weeny print can be a pain in the ass...

Yesterday, after getting the news of the surface of my eye getting ripped off now & then, I am surprised I can see as well as I can???

I managed all but the last line on the eye chart with my good eye (the one that's actually got all the bother just now) and the last two lines I couldn't do with my other eye. However, it was kinda goopy in sympathy with my other eye. She put on the pinhole filter and I managed all but the last line with both eyes.

Apparently, that's amazing for someone not just my age, but with being a diabetic too Shocked
View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:16 pm
The Latin for glasses is Specula.

The first eyeglasses were made in Northern Italy, most likely in Pisa, by about 1290.

The first lenses for correcting astigmatism were designed by the British astronomer George Airy in 1825. It is a widely accepted that men possessing astigmatism, have greater success with the opposite sex, and are more adventurous in bed. No clear link has been made as to why, but it is believed that their larger than average Peni' weigh heavily on the connective tissues, and pull the offending eyes very slightly out of shape.

In the 1930s, "spectacles" were described as "medical appliances. Wearing spectacles was sometimes considered socially humiliating.

In the 1970s, fashionable glasses started to become available through manufacturers, and governments also recognized the demand for stylized eyewear

View user profile

on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:58 pm
crix ,

i am just home from boots opticians - no change in prescription since 2016...i ordered a spare pair of reading specs as i continually get to my office/den with my frigging driving specs and have to limp back...

only real change i made last time...2016...was getting a coating in the distance/driving specs which reduces glare (not the very expensive ones that let you see people drowning) - just a tint of some kind that reacts to sunshine.

I was diagnosed with astigmatism 40 years ago...don't think Scotland have won at Murrayfield since...

now i use a stick...next time it's b +q for a can of white paint...

vfc
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:32 am
Thank you everyone for your cuntribuziones Smile
View user profile

on Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:34 pm
Despite its name, glasses aren’t actually made with glass! At least not the modern ones. Today, lenses are made of high-tech plastics that can be treated to have a filter to protect eyes from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. These lenses are thinner, lighter and more durable than glass because they don’t break easily and are more scratch-resistant.
View user profile

on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:11 am
No, I don't have glasses. Get my site checked every 3 years as part of work medical. I did have blurry vision the other year though, so thought I'd get it checked. Turns out it was just stress related and exhaustion!

Can't be too careful though.
View user profile

on Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:48 am

This photo was rather nicely Photoshopped. Funnily enough it's my local branch about 200m from my house!

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum