Go down
Admin
View user profile

Vauxhall expertise required......FF?

on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:14 pm
Hello.

My parents were looking at a new Mokka X....thankfully they didn't sign on the line as surely buying a new Mokka is going to be one of the quickest ways of burning your money...ever.

Anyway.

So... my mam likes Mokkas in general...and there are plenty of them around..but it was the newer Mokka X they were looking at so - FF....it seems like the X is a facelift of the Mokka...different front end...slightly different rear end....nicer looking interior.

Was there anything more to it or is it really like...a facelifted Mokka?

Im not a big fan of the car...but my mam will like...keep a car for 10 years + and she likes the look of them which is half the battle.
View user profile

Re: Vauxhall expertise required......FF?

on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:32 pm

My experience of Vauxhall / Opels is a very positive one. Nothing seems to be expensive to fix if it needs to be done. Might not be as good now moving from probably German American management to French.

I would have a Mokka.

View user profile

on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:40 pm
Use the Not Parkers resource -

http://notparkers.forumotion.co.uk/t43-2016-vauxhall-mokka-1-6se

Spot wasn't too complementary...

"the worst hire car i've ever had, utter utter garbage
"
Looks like the X is a facelift and the motoring media don't like it either. I suggest she walks instead!
View user profile

on Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:26 pm
My sister in law had a Mokka, and ran it for 88,000 miles - and not one issue.

Our Zafira has been near faultless, and Vauxhall have been great - recently changing an O2 sensor for free, even on an 5 year old car.

So, would I recommend VX and a Mokka ... yes, if its just a car you want ...

The negatives are the Zafira has some pretty weird handling traits, and is very very tyre sensitive .... its like it puts all its weight on the front wheels, and tramlines, and pulls constantly ... its not a pleasant car to drive when the front tyres start to wear.

Admin
View user profile

on Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:50 pm
Thank you for your advices Smile

I've only driven one...and I liked the tough interior build and kinda the look of it. ..but the diesel was extremely noisy and rough (although punchy) and the ride was rock hard. It wasn't a nice thing to drive but maybe it easy a sportyish one.
View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:46 am
The difference, as you say, is really just the new head lamps, new dashboard and slightly different rear end.

In my experience, they are expensive, but well-equipped; a little cramped inside, but well-made (built in South Korea). It's rare we get any coming in with problems.

It's one of those cars that's dependent on spec and engine - a high-spec diesel is a decent car; a lower-spec petrol is a bit more mundane, although they are a decent-looking car. Thankfully, the naturally-aspirated 1.6 petrol is no longer available. The 1.6CDTI (available with 110 or 136PS) is a good engine and much more refined than the 1.7CDTI it replaced. The 1.4T is fine, cheaper and more popular than the diesel. The diesel is a better drive, but if they're not doing many miles, the 1.4T should suffice.

Are they bothered about having all the toys? If so, an Elite Nav is the dog's danglies; if not, then an Active is pretty much entry level but still comes well-equipped with features like front and rear parking sensors.

Are they looking to buy brand new or perhaps nearly new? Vauxhall dealers have access to Network Q stock that are nearly new and usually have less than 20,000 miles on the clock - they tend to be ex-rental cars or ex-Vauxhall cars, but are prepped to Network Q standards. Dealers also have access to ex-Motability cars that are mainly around 3 years old, but at that age you'd be looking at Mokkas rather than Mokka Xs. There's plenty knocking around so finding their ideal one shouldn't be too difficult. Smile

I wouldn't worry too much about depreciation if the car will be kept for 10+ years, although they seem to be holding their value quite well anyway. They are very popular - I'd say our second best-selling model, behind only the Corsa.

They also do a 4x4 version (albeit rare) if that's something they'd be interested in? OnStar is also a great feature to have and offers peace of mind, it's just a real shame that OnStar services are ending at the end of next year (thanks, PSA!!).

Have they test drove one? Might be worth trying both petrol and diesel. If they like them though, go ahead I'd say. I can't see any reason why the car wouldn't last 10 years, and with correct maintenance, should be perfectly reliable. Smile

Give me a shout if you want to know anything in particular - I have access to ordering guides, brochures and new-car stock levels. Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:21 pm
FF, your response as ever is wonderfully detailed, thank you.

I will pass on the info and discuss further and see what they say. They've moved away from a new one having seen how much they can save on even getting a 6-12 month old one.

Another question FF.....if the Mokka X is still going....where does the Crossland X fit in the line-up? Isn't it pretty much the same size as the Mokka (and also available with a 4x4 version i think, as least, the Citroen version is)

I see the Grandland X as bigger than a Mokka (nice looking, too) but to me the Mokka and Crossland X are like....maybe fighting over the same bit of market?
View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:45 pm
The new ones are purposefully expensive so there's a degree of discount that can be offered on the new car deal - things like the Vauxhall Partners discount and the Finance Deposit Allowance, should the vehicle be financed.

Every quarter or so you'll probably see a lot of Vauxhall pre-registration offers hit the market where cars are registered to a dealer but are sold at discount prices; brand new cars still, but with a registered keeper on the V5. Whether Mokka Xs will be included or not could be a gamble, though.

The Crossland X is more of a Meriva replacement - nothing fancy, just practical, no-frills transport. The Mokka X is more 'upmarket' if you like. The Viva and Adam are similar in this respect also - to the extent that they're both being discontinued in 2020.

No 4x4 option for the Crossland X, although it is available on the Grandland X.

Bring back the Senator... Cool
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:35 pm
Good info there, thanks.

My dad still rates his 1992 Cavalier as his favourite car (he's not a car person...but he just liked the Cavalier more than his other cars, before or since)

I remember he got it brand new on a K reg 1.8 'L' spec 5dr in satin red.... was so exciting at the time as we'd never had a new car before.....

He had it probably.....7-8 years and 125kish miles...used it hard...barely serviced it....as i say, not a car person, just wanted something that worked, and it did the vast majority of the time. Eventually it needed some money spending on it...so he chopped it in and got....a 1995 Proton Persona! (Like i say, not a car person!)
View user profile

on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:07 pm
Wow my summary is if I need a good car at a good price - go around Eff's place and get a second hand Cavalier.

View user profile

on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:28 am
It'd be great if we sold Cavaliers!! However, they're now at the stage where the remaining ones have generally been looked after and are starting to command stronger money. There's a place in Keighley that currently has 3 Cavalier Turbos for sale - just shy of £10,000 each. Cool
Admin
View user profile

on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:23 am
Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrchong.

Yes, i did say kerchong.
View user profile

on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:46 pm
Try and upsell them into a VXR8... Y'know, it will hold its value better etc!
View user profile

on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:47 pm
Kuching - Eff really is an effing expert in this area.
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:04 pm
I just returned from the highlands (seeing the wee ones) and my hire car was a Mokka X, when they handed me the keys, the feeling of dread poured down my face, BUT........it was a LOT better than the other Mokka i drove.

it was still a 1.6, petrol, but had a lot more oomph.....although it was still a bit meh.

was a decent enough car, seemed well built, but it was bloody noisy on the road

i still wouldnt entertain one if i was looking for a mini-SUV, but then i suspect they are good value, hence why people buy them
View user profile

on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:35 pm
Spot wrote:I just returned from the highlands (seeing the wee ones) and my hire car was a Mokka X, when they handed me the keys, the feeling of dread poured down my face, BUT........it was a LOT better than the other Mokka i drove.

it was still a 1.6, petrol, but had a lot more oomph.....although it was still a bit meh.

was a decent enough car, seemed well built, but it was bloody noisy on the road

i still wouldnt entertain one if i was looking for a mini-SUV, but then i suspect they are good value, hence why people buy them

You disappear off the face of the Earth, without a by or leave, and this is the first thing you come back with ?

Explain yourself, Basil. !!!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum