View previous topicGo downView next topic
View user profile

Nissan GT-R and Lamborghini

on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:17 am
Will give a review of them both when I drive them in early March! Very Happy

The Mrs bought me a driving experience for my birthday with the above two cars selected. Can't wait!! Hopefully it won't be too much of an anti-climax afterwards when I drive back home in a diesel Laguna lol...
View user profile

Re: Nissan GT-R and Lamborghini

on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:01 am
Nice one. Sounds effing good fun.
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm
Mr FF....
Would you be having yours at.....Elvington?

As i got a Huracan drive present for xmas....and i will be going to Elvington for it....
View user profile

on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:02 am
It is at Elvington, yes. Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:42 pm
Well, fancy that! Just imagine we accidentally booked the same day for our drives....wouldn't that be a co-incidence.....
View user profile

on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:06 pm
When's yours? :p Message me on Facebook if you don't want the whole of the Internet to know lol.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:45 pm
I haven't booked a date yet...but we shall see....
View user profile

on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:53 pm
So, Saturday was the day!

Arrived at Elvington for 9am, signed in, had a briefing at 9:30am for around 15 minutes and then the day began.

The original package was for a drive in a Lamborghini, Nissan GT-R and a high-speed passenger ride. However, there is a very big 'up-sell' to the whole experience, which is good as it means you can add cars to drive, swap cars to drive on your original list, add demo laps with an instructor, buy more photos, add passengers to the high-speed ride, etc... but the costs do start to creep up, so beware.

First up was a demo drive of the track with an instructor - it's an airfield with cones dotted around to create a track. As it was a damp day and the track was greasy, the long straight had a chicane added to it so drivers couldn't get up to speeds too high for the conditions. It was useful to have a drive round of the track without having to concentrate on driving, plus the instructor told you what to do and where to do it. Each of the drives does, however, come with an instructor anyway, to give advice so you get the most out of each lap.

Next up was the Lamborghini, which turned out to be a Gallardo Convertible (for an extra £50 you could upgrade to an Aventador, but I stuck with the Gallardo). Stepping into the car, it is very low to the ground, the interior is quite cramped and visibility isn't great. The dashboard consists of an Audi navigation screen and Audi heating controls. Somewhat underwhelming, but functional enough. Then, to start the engine, and it roars into life - it does sound really good! It's got a 'flappy paddle' gearbox like most of the cars here. So, off we go! It's quite difficult to forget normal driving mode and slip straight into track mode - the instructors are watching mirrors so you can concentrate on the track ahead. Admittedly, it was my first lap, but the Lamborghini didn't feel as 'alive' as I was expecting - steering was heavy (similar to how my Audi A6 felt) and despite the engine sounding fantastic, the car just didn't feel that quick!! Having said that, I wasn't going for it 100% due to my inexperience on the track and the greasy conditions. I wouldn't describe it as an easy car to drive, at least not quickly anyway. I came to the conclusion it's more of a cruiser the a racer, a car to pose in.

Next up, the Nissan GT-R. Well, what a machine! Sitting inside, visibility is good, the driving position is good, buttons, switches and dials everywhere with a big red start button in the middle... definitely a sense of occassion. So, we head off to the track, by which time I've gained a bit of confidence, the coast's clear and the instructor says open her up... 2nd gear, 3.8 twin-turbo, full throttle... holy shit!! The way that car relentlessly picks up speed is phenominal, the brakes inspire confidence as you slow down, the steering and handling is beautifully balanced so you know what's going on. This is definitely a finely-engineered car designed for the track. Everything about the car just felt completely right. An easy car to drive, fast or slow. Briliant, fantastic, amazing car! Felt much better on the track than the Lambo. I checked Autotrader today... you can get early ones for just over £30,000. Bargain...

After that came the high-speed lap with an instructor driving. The car was a Vauxhall VXR8 - basically an Omega with a Corvette engine. There were 4 of us on board and the driver really gave it some - how a RWD car on a greasy surface could go round corners that quickly staggers me!! However, as I noticed with the Lambo, the car wasn't 'that' quick in a straight line. The twin-turbo GT-R pissed all over them as far as straight-line acceleration goes. (I can see why SAAB used to turbocharge all their cars). Still an awesome experience to feel that speed, with all of us getting out of the car with huge smiles on our faces.

So, a couple of hours later, and the experience is over. I met my hero, the GT-R, and was even more impressed than I thought I would be. Would I recommend the experience? Yes, it's definitely worth doing, just don't be under the impression that it'll be cheap. Ideally, I'd like to do it yearly, with a Ferrari on my wish list for next time and definitely another go in a GT-R. I did feel relaxed on the drive home, as I got the fast driving thing 'out of my system'. One thing I did notice was that the cars all had warning lights on of some sort, with one of the cars used for demo laps having a cracked windscreen. However, when you think about it, they're probably the most hard-driven cars you could find. Every time they're used, they're getting thrashed. Even police cars and taxis don't have lives that hard!! The cars do get warmed up on a morning before they go out, though, to make sure the engines are up to temperature. I dread to think what the fuel and tyre costs must be!!

Anyway, to summise, definitely an experience worth doing in my opinion. For anybody interersted, this one was through http://www.everymanracing.co.uk

Very Happy
View user profile

on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:22 pm

So the GT-R is the one to have. Pretty affordable too compared with them other motors, it sounds like. Cool... Very Happy
View user profile

on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:58 pm
It's the king in my eyes. Smile It might not have the prestige or image of a European supercar, but as far as performance and value go.. unbeatable. They also have that high-tech Japanese flashy coolness to them. Smile If history is anything to go by, they'll become relatively cheap within the next few years, but then start to appreciate in value; that's exactly what's happened with cars like the Honda NSX, Toyota Supra and Nissan Skyline.
View user profile

on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:31 am
Not that surprised by your comments on the Lamborghini, remember being told by an R8 owner they were underwhelmed about ownership and said "don't meet your heroes". Been keeping an eye on the GTR prices, be interesting how low they go
View user profile

on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:37 am
I'm glad it's not just me then!! I thought maybe I was missing something as it was the first time I've been in one.
Admin
View user profile

on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 am
LOVE the GT-R

it would 100% be in my millionaires garage (along with the i8 of course)
Admin
View user profile

on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:49 pm
Brilliant review LK! I've got my Huracan experience in May. We're there any Huracans there?
Admin
View user profile

on Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:31 pm
LK?....put your glasses on Crisps
Admin
View user profile

on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:16 am
I did mean FF. I think I said LK cos I must have been imagining him naked, or something at the time.
View user profile

on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:49 am
I didn't see any Huracans there, but they may well have different cars there on different days perhaps?

I expect they'll offer an upgrade to the Aventador for an extra £50 as that's what they did when I was there, should that take your fancy. Smile
Admin
View user profile

on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 am
I would be tempted.....
Admin
View user profile

on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:02 pm
FF, just as you said.
I rang earlier to book my Huracan drive...after many delays and some confusion, the lady said that the Huracan doesn't go to Elvington any more as there wasn't enough demand for it....

..so my gift was now invalid..... Sad

So would I like FOC upgrade to the Aventador?

YES!
View user profile

on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:57 am
Result!! Very Happy It did look amazing, and was probably the star car there.

They do offer a 'guided lap' at first for £10 where an instructor takes you round the track and tells you what to do and where - I'd probably recommend it as it does help to give you a clue as to where you're supposed to go so you can concentrate more on driving the car.

I'd definitely recommend the high-speed lap with an instructor driving a Vauxhall VXR8 - it gives you an idea of what a car can do even on the limit. You can also take passengers (even kids!) for an extra £10 each.

I'd also recommend taking a Nissan GT-R for a spin - epic machine!! Cool
Admin
View user profile

on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 pm
I think my thingy includes the guided lap. Or it did when it was the Huracan one, might not now.
If I'm feeling flush I might go for extra things....but this is me..
View user profile

on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:45 pm
I'be done one of these days before, found the similar.

On a big wide track, non of the cars felt that fast (except the Ariel Atom).

I also drive a Gallardo ... very disappointing ....

I also drove a 911 turbo ... again, disappointing ....

I'm not sure the cars are at fault, but the environment.

Would I do it again (was about £300) - no .... my best £300 driving day by far is the Caterham track days!!
View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum